A simple mothering pleasure today- my kids make me laugh, and give me opportunity to be creative in different ways, like making popcorn magic.
We were having popcorn for a snack. I guess it has been a while since we ate popcorn and R, age 4, found an unpopped kernel at the bottom of the bowl. She asked what that "tiny nut" was doing in her snack. I told her it was a popcorn seed that hadn't turned into popcorn yet. Her eyes lit up and her smile grew and she clutched that little kernel in her fist before standing up and enthusiastically explaining that "It is a popcorn seed! Popcorn seeds grow into- popcorn trees! We can plant it and make a popcorn tree! Please can I go outside and bury it?"
She ran into the backyard with her sand shovel and planted her seed in a nice sunny spot and then gave it a splash of rainwater from a bucket. She has been watching hourly for it to start growing.
I have plans for that little seed, because she is only going to be that little and believe in the magic of popcorn trees* right now. Not next year or next month. So tonight while she sleeps in tribute to jack and the beanstalk, a little tree a lot like an azalea branch is going to magically sprout up in that spot. And while she naps later that afternoon, its blooms are going to turn into popcorn balls!
Because I am a mom and I believe in magic popcorn seeds, and it is up to me to see that my kids do, too!
*A favorite song of the children in our church is "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree," because blossoms on the apricot trees in spring look like popcorn. The small ones can't actually see a difference and to their eyes, those trees really are covered in popcorn!
No comments:
Post a Comment