Monday, August 15, 2011

Guard Your Thoughts

Yesterday's Relief Society lesson was incredibly boring.
Picture a typical RS room, with flowers and a doily on the table in front of the microphone podium. A teacher spending the whole 45 minutes reading from the manual. Not looking up. Not asking for comments. Answering her own questions when she read over them in the lesson. And when she ran out of material to read in the current manual, she looked up the lesson of the same topic in an older manual and read us that one, too. But she brought fudge and muffins to pass around while she was reading, so I guess no one will be complaining.
Except me. But not out loud., just in my head. Trying to keep awake by thinking of how I would do things differently. Where I would pause for questions, how I would respond to comments or wait for feedback. Wishing she would acknowledge the few comments that came her way nistead of just diving right back into her manual, How I would never resort to bringing baked goods to get people into RS, my lesson would be so good they would come in without the promise of food.
And you know what happened right? I just got called and asked to teach this Sunday because the teacher is going out of town. And the subject matter is probably the hardest one in the whole manual- The Law of Chastity (not because it's hard doctrine, just because I'm uncomfortable talking about it). And I am seriously considering whipping up a batch of brownies to hand out just in case! So guard your thoughts, not just to promote virtue, but to protect yourself from a lesson in pride and come-uppance!

2 comments:

The Chamberlain Family said...

Oh that is hillarious Jannet! You make me laugh! You will do a fabulous job...even without the brownies!

Lauren in GA said...

Isn't that always the way?

You are a great teacher! No baked goods necessary.