Monday, August 24, 2009

What is Operation Joy?

Operation JOY is my new personal quest for, well, joy.

This past year has been a real struggle for me, and I am finally feeling motivated and energized enough to set up some new routines and habits that will bring some joy to my life.

No more waiting until the next phase- after the kids start school, after Mike graduates, after I lose 20 pounds, after we get a bigger house, after... what? After my life is over? No thanks. So I am trying to set up some systems to make it easier for me to enjoy my life now. How? Just Organize Yourself. This will be a place to set goals, track progress, and share results!

I have five basic areas that I need to organize:
1. Home
2. Fitness
3. Spirituality
4. Education
5. Family

1. First, my house. 2 years of working, a move, and a new baby have thrown things into chaos (can't have anyone over syndrome). Time to de-clutter, organize, deep clean, and keep clean. And time to share the load and let everyone who lives here start taking some responsibility for their own stuff! I have never been enthusiastic about my role as a homemaker,  but I am ready to step up and embrace my role as keeper of our home. Cooking, cleaning, and creating will be chronicled in this section.
I want my house to feel like home- a place to feel peace, a place to relax, and place to have fun and grow as a family, a safe-haven from the outside world where the Spirit of the Lord dwells.

2. Next, my body. Four kids and a year of inactivity due to pregnancy and the Georgia summer have taken their toll on my body. My metabolism has changed and I can no longer get away with eating the junk I used to. A new exercise routine, healthier eating habits, and a determination to fit into my old jeans are to be chronicled here.

3. Next, spiritual things. Time to re-read the Book of Mormon, strengthen my testimony, and magnify my calling. Now that baby is old enough to go without nursing for several hours and will take a bottle, I have no reason to not be at the temple regularly. I am making a renewed effort to be a good example for my children, to hold regular home evenings, family prayer and scripture study, and make our home a learning place.

4. Next, education. Not more formal schooling, at least for me. My learning will be done outside the classroom. I want to read more good books. I want to finish all those projects sitting in the closet, not quite completed. I want to learn to do simple home repairs. I want to grow a garden. I want to learn another language. I want to find something that I can be passionate about. I want to make sure my free time is filled with meaningful things and not simply things "to pass the time". No letting my brain "turn smushy" as my kids would say. I will share what I am learning here.

5. Finally, family. I have a big family. I have many roles to play in it- wife, mother, sister, daughter, granddaughter, in-law, aunt. I can do better at all of them. I want to be better at keeping in touch with far-away relatives and building relationships with those who I am not close to. I want to keep my marriage strong. I want to find joy in my role as a mother and learn to have more fun with my children. My adventures in my many roles will be shared in this section.

So there you have it. Operation JOY. Wish me luck- leave a comment! Want to help? Share an idea! Want to come along? Join me in your own operation joy and become a contributor.

Time to get started!

Jannet

1 comment:

Lauren in GA said...

Jannet, this is so awesome. I love it!

Very clever with the acronym of JOY, too.

My life is in total chaos...you are an inspiration.