Today I am good enough. Not super, outstanding, examplary, or even great, but good. And good is enough.
One of the ideas I have struggled with in various forms throughout my life is never feeling good enough, and when I was good enough, that good enough wasn't enough. I needed to be great, above average, excellent, or perfect. If it was worth doing, it was worth doing right- exactly and perfectly right! This has left me with a string of unfinished projects (can't finish right, might as well just not do it anymore!), lots of unmet expectations, and a whole lot of frustration!
A few years ago I was standing in the back of a relief society socail. The chairs were arranged ina large circle around the room and each woman around the circle was taking a turn introducing herself, telling her name and one thing about her that would help other people remember her. "My name is Jen and I run marathons." "My name is Hannah and I like to do food storage." "My name is Diane and my husband says I kiss better than I cook." "My name is Candes and I make cards." I remember feeling very relieved as the turns passed over me since I was standing by the door, outside of the circle because I didn't know what to say. When it did make it back around to me, I was the last person and was holding a stack of paper plates and was able to come up with something to lead into the closing prayer and refreshments, but was still unsettled. I didn't have a thing. I wasn't the runner, or the cook, or the food storage lady. I was just, well, me.
It has taken a while, but I have come to accept that I am just me. I am not the anything lady. I don't do anything amazingly well, but do lots of things good enough.
I like to bake cookies and make birthday cakes for my kids, but I am not a pastry chef. I like to cook, but no one will get excited when I walk in the door at ward potlucks.
I have a blog, but it won't win an award for great pictures or life changing stories or have a hundred follwers (in fact, this one is new, so there are no followers!)
I like to sew but am not a seamstress. I do crafts, but won't ever make them in bulk and open an etsy shop.
My food storage is store-bought canned goods and kits from the storehouse, not home grown produce or hundreds of cans on a rotation shelf.
I accept callings and serve willingly but teach forgettable primary lessons and will never sing in the chior.
I take my kids to the library and read them lots of books, but they attend public school and don't get piano lessons or speak latin.
I exercise regularly but will never run a marathon.
My house is comfortable and company clean but won't ever be in an interior design catalog.
I have a wonderful husband and a solid marriage. I have four great kids who make good choices and know they are loved. Our home is a place where the Spirit dwells and everyone is comfortable. I can look in the mirror and be happy with what I see and am fairly certain that I am in good standing with the Lord.
And that is good enough.
What misconceptions or myths about womanhood have you overcome? Read more or share your own ideas for Wordfull Wednesday at Chocolate on my Cranium!
12 comments:
What a great post. Thank you!
Loved it! I often forget that being 'good enough' is just great. It works for my family and for me. Your list sounds alot like mine! Thanks again for the reminding!
I know that we all struggle with being "good enough".
Beautifully said.
Great post, Jannet...I think plenty of us are good enough. More people should read this! Good stuff.
And by the way, I think you're a great blogger. I think you have a talent for expressing yourself in a way that is fun for others to read.
I LOVE THIS POST! I am so glad to know I am not the only one who is amazing at anything but I do "good enough". I think you are a REALLY great writer. :) Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one stuck for something to say at those R.S. gathering introductions. :-) I enjoyed your post.
Well said! Knowing that that Lord is pleased with our efforts makes it all worth it.
I need constant reminding that good enough is good enough. I don't know why its so hard to embrace that idea so it sticks.
That was a great list!
I am me, too. As long as I am important to my kids and my husband, that is good enough for me :)
Thanks you for your post!!
I came to tears when I read this. You have so many amazing talents that I brag to others about. Things I can only dream of one day doing. But your so indpirational in your words. I think you should be a Time Out for Women speaker :) Thanks
I agree with Rosetta about the Time Out for Women speaker!
Post a Comment